Posted on May 31, 2016 | Comments 0
The period for pregnancy among dogs is 63 days, but the count starts from the day when your dog is ovulating. How do you know if you are supposed to have puppies in the house? Sometimes it is difficult to find out early during the pregnancy of the pet. Here are some tips which will let you know whether your dog is pregnant or not. All you need to do is to watch out for these signs.
Signs that tell that your dog is pregnant
With dogs it is difficult to tell if they are pregnant or not, since there are not too many signs in the first few weeks. However, here are some tips which will help you find out if your dog is pregnant of not.
- Some of the very normal signs in dogs during pregnancy are increased appetite, tight belly etc. When your dog is eating too much than it is used to, it can be a telltale sign of its pregnancy. Also check out if its nipples are enlarged, though it does not happen immediately.
- If your dog is feeling lethargic in general, with increased appetite, it could be a sign of its pregnancy. Sometimes, after a few weeks, you will be able to notice a behavioral change in your dog too. However, these changes come slowly.
- Some dogs also face morning sickness like their human counterparts. However, this will also show after a few weeks. When you see your dog suffering from morning sickness, it is time to take her to the veterinary doctor. The doctor will be able to do an ultrasound, and check the growth of the puppies inside the mother’s womb.
- At a later part of the pregnancy it is much easier to understand that your dog is going to be a mother, since you will see its belly getting bigger and tighter. This will not happen before the 40th day or so of the pregnancy.
- When you are almost sure that your dog is pregnant, you should at once take it to the vet, where some examination like ultrasound, palpation, test of hormones, and X ray will be done. Make sure you know about the male partner, since if it is a very large one, then chances of normal delivery will be slim.
If you check for these signs in your dog, you will be able to see quite easily if she is pregnant or not.
Posted in: Pet Health