Pets are unique in their own sense. They possess a specific natural behavior differing from one to the other. No one likes an arrogant and unruly pet. You have to mould their behavior as per your requirement.
Pet training does not only mean learning fetch, sit, stay, run, lay down or roll down. There is much more than this old fashioned basic training.
Now-a-days, pet training also includes companionship with kids or new persons, protection of the owner, detection of dangers, entertainment and litter manners.
First of all get an idea of training, whether to getyour pet trained with a private trainer or train at home.
If you prefer for private training, check the tutor who trains at the training institute for some basic qualities in him/her such as experience, patience, tolerance levels and the way they get along with the animals.
If you find the area of the training comfortable, then only leave your pet there for training. If you find any harsh treatment with the animals, do not hesitate to get back your pet from there.
If not at the training institute, you can have pet training at home. Some simple and useful tips to start pet training at home:
- Always be consistent in the words you use, consistency can relate to the words you use to train your pet or the actions you show your pet.
- Maintain the training session small: You must have heard the saying ’all work and no play’. Do not implement this on your pet. They are too small and tender for training.Give breaks in between the sessions and see that sessions are not more than 15-20 minutes per day. It’s advisable to have 20 minutes daily session than having a 60 to 120 minutes session once in a week. Stick to one particular time and maintain the schedule.
- Do not lose your patience: Stay calm and cool in the training. During the training session, the pet gets distracted to many things around it. This is where many of them get exhausted and prefer to get their pet trained at some training school.Stay cool and have enough patience to train your pet. Training should be enjoyable for you and your pet too. If your pet is not interested at that particular time to get trained, give a break and then start the session again.
- Be positive: Do not be up set that you are not able to train your pet properly. Your pet may be slow or there is some communication gap between you and your pet. Have a positive attitude that you will succeed in training your pet.
- Do not have over discipline: Do not over react that your pet is not listening to you. Never punish your pet as some times punishing the pet will make it stubborn that it will stop obeying to you. You are making your pet learn manners, do not lose your manners and punish them.
For example: If you want to train your pet walking, you can use a command or a phase such as ‘walk’ every day till your pet learns. Do not change the word and use some unknown phrases that your pet doesn’t know such as ‘come’ or ‘here here’. The pets cannot learn new words in one glance, they need repetitions.
Do not hesitate to question yourself whether you can train your pet or not. Be honest to yourself. Pet Training is not everyone’s task. If you think you cannot do the job, go for a trainer.