How to Treat the Common Spring Allergies in Pets?

With spring around the corner, it is now time to take stock of all that can trouble your pet. Many pet owners may not be aware that spring brings with it plenty of health issues for the pets including allergies and exposure to toxic products. It pays to be aware of the various factors that can adversely affect the health of your furry companions.

allergies in petsSeemingly harmless and common day to day items can prove to be toxic to the pets causing a lot of concern to their owners.

Some of these common things include lilies, azalea, sago palm, tulips, rhododendrons, chrysanthemums and daffodils. These plants can prove to be quite toxic to pets when ingested even in small quantities. For example, if the pet happens to ingest lilies, it can result in kidney failure.

Besides these toxic common items, the pets also suffer from various allergic reactions during spring.

Pets do have allergic reactions to various factors but their symptoms are very different. Allergic reactions can set in due to pollen, ticks and bugs. This usually happens in case of inhaling (pollen) or infestation (pests). An allergic pet will lick its feet, chew the base of its own tail, have itchy skin and also develop rash.

As concerned pet owners, you may want to try out a safe and simple technique called “hyposensitization”. This involves the identification of the specific pollen, moulds or other allergens that cause allergic reactions in the pet. Small dosages of these allergens are then administered to the pet to help them desensitize towards these allergens.

This does help to a large extent to control the advent of allergies but may not prove to be a permanent solution. This may seem like an expensive undertaking but is very economical in the long run as it means less of allergy medications and drastically reduced trips to the vet’s office.

Posted in: HOW TOsPet Health

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Leave a Reply


seven − = 6