Bedbugs Can Do a Lot of Damage to Your Pets

Bedbug infestation has grown to epidemic proportions all over US, leaving no one untouched. Bedbugs irritate not just humans but also their pets. Bedbugs are small, rust colored pests – about the size of apple seeds. They are semi nocturnal and parasitic in nature, and generally trouble warm blooded animals like cats, dogs and birds.

During the day, bedbugs generally hide in furniture and wall crevices as well as under mattresses and pillows. They make an appearance at night to suck the blood of their prey.

bedbugs on petsWhen a home gets infested it is simply natural that the pets suffer along with their owners. The current year has already seen over 7000 complaints.

Pet owners are the ones most traumatized as it is difficult for them to see their pets in such discomfort. The only way to protect the pets from bedbugs is to keep the homes free from these pests.

Pets need more protection from pesticides and other chemicals used to eradicate bedbugs rather than the bedbugs themselves.

These pesticides can be quite harmful to the pets and they need to be kept away from them. The most commonly used chemical is pyrethrin which, when ingested, can cause serious illness or even death.

The tremendous increase in bed bug complaints over the years has prompted Assembly member Linda Rosenthal to introduce a legislation which requires landlords to disclose infestation history to potential tenants.

Bedbugs propagate really fast. You can normally identify them with naked eye or by their droppings and most frequently by the bloodstains left behind.

Bedbugs don’t live on the body of their prey (unlike louse), so there is no point in physically treating your pets if they show signs of infestation.

If your home is infested, turn for professional help to get rid of bedbugs; don’t try out a do-it-yourself job. When the process is underway keep your pets away from the area and don’t let them near the area for the next 24 hours.

Pets are generally affected when they inhale the fumes, but they may absorb the chemical if they wander into the sprayed area before it is completely dry. If a pet absorbs or ingests the pesticide they will show symptoms like drooling and vomiting.

Birds will puff up and show difficulty in breathing. They also tend to prefer the cage bottom. Take the pet to your vet immediately if it shows signs of this type of poisoning.

Posted in: Pet Health

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Leave a Reply


8 × = thirty two