Everyone loves pets. Pets make your life livelier and more homely than ever, but we tend to go overboard with a lot of things when it comes to our favorite creatures. We cuddle them all the time, tease their ears, and feed them with every possible thing we come across—and the last one is pretty dangerous.
When you get a pet for yourself, you must go through a number of things. You should definitely check out the kinds of foods which one should give to pets. It is important because, at times, certain foods which we give—often people foods—are quite harmful to pets.
In this article, we have shortlisted 10 people foods that you must not feed the pets:
Suddenly, everyone loves avocado. But, hey, do not give them to pets to eat. Avocado is an issue for rabbits, donkeys, birds, ruminants, and horses. The biggest problem is that it causes cardiovascular damage, and, at times, death in birds. To other animals, consumption of avocado results in swollen neck and head, which is totally not good.
So, better get rid of those avocados, got it?
2. Coffee and Chocolate
Comforting as they may sound, these products are extremely harmful to pets. These products have methylxanthines, which one finds in cacao seeds as well as in the nuts of a few soda extracts. When the substance is taken in by pets, it causes diarrhea and vomiting, excessive urination, and hyperactivity. Sometimes, it may even cause seizures and death.
It is important to note that darker chocolate is considered more deleterious to pets than milk chocolate since the latter has lowest levels of methylxanthines whereas the former contains the highest.
Protect your pets from methylxanthines—otherwise, things will turn out really sad for you and the pets.
If a coconut-related product is ingested by pets in small quantities, it will not pose much harm; however, it will cause a few problems. The milk and flesh of milk coconut contain oil causing stomach upset, stools, and even diarrhea. Moreover, coconut oil is rich in potassium, and thus, should not be administered to pets.
We strongly recommend caution on your part while administering any coconut-related food to pets.
4. Grapes, raisins, and nuts
While not much is known about the toxic substances in raisins and grapes, these fruits, nevertheless, can result in kidney failure. Many pet owners report harmful effects on their pets after consumption of grapes and raisins—so it is best to avoid.
Macadamia Nuts can be really harmful food to pets. They can result in depression, tremors, hyperthermia, tremors, vomiting, and weakness. Symptoms generally surface within 12 hours of intake and usually last for about 12 to 48 hours.
Keep raisins, grapes, and nuts for your consumption, but spare the pets!
5. Onions, chives, and garlic
Onions, chives, and garlic may result in gastrointestinal irritation and can lead to severe red blood damage. Cats are usually more vulnerable, but dogs are at risk as well when a large amount of these products are consumed.
6. Salty food
Salt and salty food can cause excessive thirst as well as urination. They may even result in sodium ion poisoning which is fatal to animals. Symptoms that your pets may have had consumed too much salt or salty foods include diarrhea, tremors, depression, seizures, increased body temperature, and vomiting.
We strongly ask you to refrain from feeding to your pets heavily salted snacks such as pretzels, potato chips, and popcorns.
7. Undercooked meat and bones
Raw or undercooked meat, as well as raw eggs, comprises bacteria such as E. coli that can be dangerous to both pets and humans. Raw eggs, for instance, contain an enzyme known as avidin which decreases the rate of absorption of biotin leading to coat and skin problems.
If you feed your pet raw bone, your pet might choke on it or sustain a severe injury damaging the digestive tract.
8. Yeast dough
Yeast dough can lead to the accumulation of gas in the digestive system of your pet. It can be really painful to pets and may result in the bloating of the stomach. If the consumption was high, life-threating dangers can surface.
The yeast generates ethanol and if a dog consumes it, then it may become drunk. Just keep it off the pets, okay?
Dairy products are also no good to pets. Pets do not contain considerable amounts of lactase, and because of that, dairy products can cause diarrhea or another kind of digestive upset.
Alcoholic beverages can result in diarrhea, vomiting, central nervous system depression, abnormal blood activity, tremors, coma and even death. Your pet should not be, under any circumstance, administered any alcoholic beverage. In case you suspect that ingestion of alcohol has happened, immediately contact a veterinarian.