Posted on Apr 28, 2010 | Comments 0
If you want a new pet, why would you go to a pet shop to buy a new one when there are so many animals that are in need of homes? Finding animals for adoption and giving them a home are one of the most rewarding opportunities one can engage in.
Keeping animals for adoption will reward you with lots of love and attention from your new pet. You not only get to have a new pet, but you are actually saving a life. These animals have been victims of neglect or abandonment, and sometimes worse, inhumane treatment.
But thankfully, people have found them and taken care of them, and put these animals for adoption where you can now take over and provide them with a loving home and a caring, safe environment.
Animals for adoption usually have fees involved upon taking them home, however the fees will vary. You will also want to make sure that before adopting, these animals have undergone basic medical care such as spaying and neutering, for both your and the animals’ benefits.
But if you don’t know where to find animals for adoption, here are some tips to help you:
1. Go to your nearest animal shelter, as they will surely have several animals for adoption. However, you should be prepared and understand that many of these animals are not always in the best of shape.
Although the pet shelter has found them and provided them with a temporary home, they do not always have the resources such as staffing and funds to keep the animals for adoption in top shape.
Keep an open mind and observe the pets’ physical health and their attitude, as you do not want to have aggressive animals for adoption as pets. If you have the resources to nurse them back to health and provide a good loving home, then go ahead and take them home with you.
2. Contact local animal rights organizations, as they usually have contacts or recommendations where you can find rescued and abandoned pets which are available for adoption.
These pets may also have been rescued as strays or picked up on the street, so they may or may not be healthy as well but you can ask this information beforehand prior to making a decision.
3. Search the internet as there are many places online you can look for animals for adoption. Get in touch with one nearest you, and read the information on these pets online before making your decision.
4. Check your neighborhood classifieds and bulletin boards, as this is where your community will place ads on animals for adoption.
If they have a current owner, you can easily interview them and ask about the animals’ history, where they were found, any current sicknesses and other details that can help you take better care of the animals for adoption.
5. You can also ask friends and relatives, especially those who will be moving and can’t take their pets with them. You can give their pets a new home as well.
Posted in: Pet Care