Posted on Jan 19, 2009 | Comments 0
Guinea pigs are great pets that are relatively less expensive. They make less noise and take up very little space in your house.
However, it is very important to realize that they are not starter pets and often requires lot of time and effort to make great pets.
Here are few basic steps that you need to follow to keep your guinea pigs healthy and happy.
- Step 1: Guinea pigs are social pets and need enough housing. Be sure to keep your guinea pig in a cage that is specially designed for guinea pigs.
- Step 2: Ensure that the home of your guinea pig receives enough sunlight, air and includes plenty of space to include toys, food and water.
- Step 3: Feed guinea pigs well to ensure good health and supplement them with fresh vegetables and fruits like apples and carrots to provide balanced diet.
- Step 4: Guinea pigs can become easily stressed out, so they require enough attention. They really enjoy human companions and feel more secure if you hold them against your chest or place them on your laps.
- Step 5: As nails of guinea pigs grow, they tend to curl easily and leads to infection and pain, so regularly trim the nails of guinea pigs for every 4 or 6 weeks.
Posted in: OTHER PETS